Proper exercise and physical activity is an integral part of staying fit and healthy. By routinely working out your body, like using a lateral pull-down machine to train your muscles, you can grow more robust and powerful.
Although, when exercising, you should always know how to correctly position and move your body to prevent unfortunate injuries.
If you neglect to move your body correctly, you could inadvertently hurt yourself and do more harm than good. So, it’s crucial that you learn how to properly do exercises and use exercise machines before attempting to work out with them.
So, how do you correctly do a lat pull-down, what are the benefits of this exercise and are there any variations that you could also try out?
A lat pull-down is an exercise that focuses on your latissimus dorsi, biceps, middle back and shoulder muscles. This exercise is done by using a lateral pull-down machine, a piece of equipment that helps you successfully perform this exercise correctly and effectively.
How Do I Do A Lat Pull-Down Properly?
This exercise is simple to learn and do and can help you strengthen your muscles efficiently. To correctly do this exercise, follow these easy steps:
1. Sit on the lat pull-down machine’s seat. The machine’s bars should be close enough that you can grasp them comfortably without having to stand up.
2. Grip the bars with your hands in an overhand grasp with your knuckles up – this is the standard position that most people do when doing this exercise.
3. Keeping your grip steady, pull the bars down until they are on the same level as your chin while gently exhaling. When doing this, try to keep your feet flat on the ground, engage your abs and try to keep your upper torso still. The bottom of this motion should be when your elbows are at the lowest that they can go.
4. Keep your shoulders square and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Then, slowly return the bars to their original position on the lateral pull-down machine. Try not to make this move too sudden, and try not to simply let go of the bars to let them slam back into place.
5. Repeat steps two to four for your desired amount of reps. Make sure you take breaks when you need to, stay hydrated and try your best to remain in the proper stance.
What Are The Benefits Of This Exercise?
Physical activity itself is very beneficial and can help you live a longer, healthier life. Lat pull-downs, in particular, can provide you with these excellent benefits:
Strengthens Your Muscles. Specifically, lateral pull-downs focus on your latissimus dorsi, biceps, middle back and shoulder muscles. These muscles can aid in your posture, how easily you perform pulling motions and may even help reduce any back pain you may be experiencing.
Tones Your Body And Burns Fat. If you are trying to burn some fat and tone your muscles, this exercise can become valuable for your workout routine. It is especially helpful if you want to focus on your back and upper muscles.
Works Out Multiple Muscles At Once. While some exercises only focus on a single group of muscles, a lat pull-down will focus on several. This way, you can tone several different muscles at once, burning more fat and toning more parts of your body.
Are There Any Lat Pull-Down Variations That I Could Try?
While the version of a lat pull-down explained above is the standard, there are variations of this exercise that you can try out if you’d like to try something new. For example, if you want to spice up your routine, you can try the following variants:
Underhand Lat Pull-Down. Instead of gripping the bars with an overhand grip, hold them with an underhand grip instead. This change can engage different muscles and might even be more comfortable for you.
Wide-Grip Lat Pull-Down. For this variant, simply hold the bars in a wider stance than usual. This can work your lats even more than before, but it may be a bit more challenging.
Straight-Arm Lat Pull-Down. If you want to only focus on your lats, you can try this version. For the straight-arm lateral pull-down, you can stand up instead of sit. Straighten your arms and grip the bars, then act out the motion as usual.
Where Can I Find Fantastic Exercise Equipment To Help Me Stay Fit And Healthy?
Are you looking for some excellent exercise equipment to help you and your loved ones burn fat and stay healthy? Then look no further than GymGuru! We are proud to provide New Zealanders with incredible equipment that is not only safe but fun to use and practical as well.
If you would like to speak to us about our equipment or about what you are looking for, please visit our contact page or get in touch with us at 0800 483 6647. We are passionate about enhancing environments and improving people’s wellbeing, and we will be thrilled to help you too!
Exercise healthily and correctly with help from us at GymGuru!